Page 7, 13th November 1959

13th November 1959
Page 7
Page 7, 13th November 1959 — NEW AT IPSWICH
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Episcopal Engagements

Page 7 from 25th March 1955

Church-and-hall

Page 5 from 4th January 1952

Building At Ipswich

Page 7 from 4th November 1955

Style Came From Italy

Page 7 from 19th February 1954

New Parish Is Established In Northampton Diocese

Page 7 from 28th January 1949

NEW AT IPSWICH

ON Sunday Bishop Parker of

Northampton blessed and opened Ipswich's fifth Catholic church in modern times: the new church of St, Mark on the Chantry estate. The church has been built in just over six months: work actually began on February 20 this year, and the bishop laid the foundation stone on May 30.

The Chantry estate, which the new church selves, was begun about seven years ago and is now almost complete, having roughly 12,000 inhabitants. There are at present about 100 Catholic households there, and they will be joined at the new church by Catholics from Maidenhall estate nearby.

Their priest in charge is Fr. W. T. Jolly, chaplain to the de la Salle Brothers' school at Birkfield, where local Catholics were allowed to use the chapel for a parish Mass on Sundays.

In the building, full use has been made of modern materials and techniques, while the aim has been to use local craftsmen for the furnishings. Their work has been found very much more economical than more mass-produced work and very much more pleasing. The altar has been made by a young parishioner.




blog comments powered by Disqus