THE REV. E. COSTELLO
The Rev. Edward Costello, St. Patrick's, Felling, celebrated his 50th, year in the priesthood last Monday. Educated at Ushaw College, near Durham, where he taught for four years, Fr. Costeflo's first appointment was to St. Benet's, Sunderland, before the church was converted into a Redemptorist monastery. He next served at St. Bede's, Sacriston, and in 190$ was appointed parish priest at St. Patrick's, Felling. Some years ago Fr. Costello set up a Mass centre at Pelaw where he was responsible for building thc schools and in 1935 the parish of St. Alban's, Pelaw, was founded. The schools at Felling, built at a cost of £15,000, were also the work of Fr. Costello, who, although 80 years of age, managed a parish of 4,000 ministered by four priests.
SISTER MARY EVANGELIST
Sister Mary Evangelist, of the Providence (Row) Night Refuge and Horne, Crispin Street, London, gave, on Tuesday last, a tea party to the " bombed " homeless men, women and children staying in the Refuge, to celebrate the 60th anniversary of her profession as a Sister of Mercy, which occurred on September 26. She has spent 63 years at Crispin Street, and her special gift to the homeless people she entertained was a wireless set.
Sister Mary has received the Papal Blessing, through Archbishop Godfrey, the Apostolic Delegate, his own personal blessing and a letter of congratulation and blessing from Cardinal Hinsley.
THE REV. H. F. ROCHE, BA.
On the same day that Fr. Holt observed his Jubilee, another Salford priest, the Rev. Henry F. Roche, BA., who was rector at St. Aloysius', Ardwick, Manchester. for 33 years until his retirement in April last, also reached the 50th anniversary of his ordination.
He is a native of Burnley, is 77 years of age, and was educated at the Salford Catholic Grammar School, Ushaw College, Durham, and the London University where he graduated. He was ordained with Fr. Holt at Salford Cathedral, and in 1891 he was sent as curate to St. Mary's, Bolton. In 1895 he was transferred to Si, Alban's, Blackburn, and the following year he was given charge of the parish of the Guardian Angels, Elton, Bury, where he remained until going to Ardwick in 1907. He retired on account of ill-health.
Both jubilarians were the recipients of presents at gatherings over the week-end. Fr. Roche on Saturday received a cheque for £300, and Fr. Holt a cheque and a radio gramophone, on Sunday.
THE REV. F. P. HOLT The Rev. Frederick P. Holt, who ten years ago retired from the chaplaincy of the Nell Lane Institution, Manchester, has attained his sacerdotal golden jubilee.
Fr. Holt is a Lancashire priest, born seventy-five years ago, and was. educated for the priesthood at the Salford Cathedral Grammar School and at Ushaw. He was ordained, October 26, 1890, in the Cathedral, Salford, by Bishop Herbert Vaughan, and was then appointed assistant priest at St. John's, Rochdale. He was subsequently assistant priest at the Holy Family, Grosvenor Square, Manchester, St. Hubert's, Great Harwood, Blackburn, and at St. Mary's, Failsworth.
From Failsworth he was given charge of the Mission at Chorlton, then served from St. Peter's Priory, Fr. Holt dedicated the parish to St. Augustine, and it bore the name until the opening of the present church in 1927, when the name was changed to that of St. John the Evangelist.
While at Chorlton Fr. Holt also served the Nell Lane Institution and later, on leaving Chorlton, became chaplain to that Institution,
During the last war the Institution was a military hospital, and housed hundreds of soldiers both English and German, and in these men Fr. Holt took a big interest materially as well as spiritually. A theatrical matinee which he organised in May, 1918, in Manchester, was a record success, realising £1,100.
In latter years Fr. Holt has been a great friend of the Rescue Society. He was Clerk of Works during the erection of the £20,000 extension to Didsbury Lodge, and in other ways by his work has been of considerable financial assistance to the Society.
Fr. Holt is an expert in horticulture, and has a large amount of ground under cultivation. While at Charlton he took a leading part in the local Horticultural Society.
FR. W. SMITH. S.C.
Fr. William Smith, S.C., one of the bestknown English Salesians, celebrated the silver jubilee of his ordination to the priesthood on October 21 at the Salesian College, Farnborough, Hants.
Fr. Smith, who was for many years Prefect of Studies at the Salesian Colleges at Battersea and Farnborough, and who was also for several years on the staff of Thornleigh College, Bolton, was the recipient of many congratulations and gifts.
Through the good offices of His Grace Archbishop Godfrey, the Papal Delegate, the Apostolic Blessing was received from Ells Holiness the Pope, whilst Archbishop Amigo of Southwark, who ordained him, and the late Bishop Cotter of Portsmouth also sent their blessings arid good wishes.
From the community and boys of Farnborough he received a chalice and illuminated addresses, whilst various other gifts were handed to him by Fr. C. H. Keyte, S.C., on behalf of the Salesian Old Boys' Association.