since 1964, in Bolton General Hospital, aged 67. Since 1942 he had been financial
secretary of the Salfard diocese.
He was born in Blackburn and attended the Sacred Heart Elementary School and Blackburn Grammar SchooL lie trained as an accountant, but at the age of 25 decide:9: offer himself for the priesthood. He was sent to the and was ordained priest there in English College, Lisbon, in 1932
On his return to the Salford diocese in 1939 he was appointed curate at St John's Cathedral, Salford. In 1942 Bishop Marshall appointed him diocesan financial secretary. fIie extra work was in • coinpatible with parochial duties, and in 1944 he became chaplain at the l
pi; mo.. Little Sisters he Grove, o he P Manchester, atncb esot corr: moving to Bury in 1949 as chaplain to Bury Convent. He was named honorary canon in 1957. He was elected to the Salford Cathedral Chapter in 1965, Fr John Flynn, parish priest of St Catharine's, Frome, Somerset, from 1953 to 1974, aged 65.Previously he was parish priest at Chew Magna. near Bristol.
He was born in Co Waterford and ordained at Mount Melleray in 1935. He was curate in various parishes before going to Chew Magna. He retired from Frome last year following a stroke, and continued living there. He was a friend of Mgr Ronald Knox, who lived in retirement at Prome.
Fr Flynn was responsible for the building of the new Church of St Catharine at Frome, opened in 1968, which is octagonal and made t S aarsvgiieosluty ofibre Sister rcf osfnievi el an rtgs.l.assa.t the Good Holyhead. North Wales, where she had spent 58 years. A former pupil of the convent hoarding school, she returned there after her religious profession in France.