DESPITE the difficult economic le' conditions, writes Mgr. Cowderoy, Bishop of Southwark, considerable progress has been made since 1949 in work of church and school building in the diocese.
This year the Bishop has consecrated seven churches and opened one new one. Altogether there are now five new churches in the diocese and two more are to be opened shortly. Extensions and new presbyteries have been added to nine churches and three new parish halls have been acquired, the one at Tooting having been built entirely by the parishioners of South Norwood.
The schools at Chatham and Welling have been enlarged and sites have also been bought for four others.