£500 Towards a Building Fund
A very successful three-days bazaar, to raise funds for the building of a new Catholic Church on the Clayton Estate, Manchester, was held recently in the churchschool of St. Willibrord's, Clayton. Approximately £500 was realised.
The parish of St. Willibrord's was founded in 1906 by the Rev. Charles Hanrahan, now at Barton-on-lrwell, for the then fast-growing Catholic population between Ashton-under-Lyne and Bradford.
Of recent years the church school has proved inadequate for the needs of the parish, and it is now proposed to erect a new church which, when completed, will allow the existing church of the present building to be devoted entirely to school purposes.
During its thirty years' existence the parish has been served by only three rec tors. Of these three the Rev. Richard Mortimer, who succeeded Fr. Hanrahan in 1909, held the rectorship for the long period
of twenty-six years. He was succeeded in November of last year by the present rector, the Rev. P. Dillon.