Fr Michael Hendry Boa IN APRIL 1935 to an Anglican family in South Shields, Michael Hendry was educated at the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle, Fettes College, Edinburgh, and Besancon University, France.
After working for the Dormeuil Freres for a number of years in South Africa, he was received into the Catholic Church in Johannesburg in 1970. He gave up his business career to become a priest and was accepted into the Gibraltar Diocese.
He studied at the Beda College and Spanish College, and was ordained in Gibraltar where he first served as secretary to Bishop Rapallo and was sub-administrator of the Cathedral.
He moved to the Westminster diocese, serving as assistant in Hillingdon in 1983 and Edmonton in 1984. He was incardinated into the diocese in 1987 and became assistant at Hampstead. He also served on the diocesan marriage tribunal.
Fr Hendry died on 14 April. His funeral was celebrated by Cardinal Hume on 21 April.
Fr Edward Gilligan BORN IN MANCHESTER in 1915, Ted Gilligan studied for the priesthood at Mark Cross and Wonersh before being ordained for the Southwark Diocese in 1941.
After serving as curate in Ashford and Deptford, he became 'Travelling /vlissioner' in Kent, travelling around the rural parts of the diocese to a widely-dispersed flock.
In 1951 he was commissioned into the army and served as chaplain in the Middle East, Korea, east Africa, Cyprus, Germany and at home at Catterick, Sandhurst and Pilbright. Between 1972-84 he stayed on in the army as an officiating chap
lain. He spent his last years in Pilbright, failing eyesight increasingly preventing him from supply work. He died on 25 April.
Sr Margaret Mary Sheehy CP THE SUPEIUORISS GENERAL of the Sisters of the Cross and Passion, Sr Margaret Mary, died on 8 April.
Born in Co Kerry, Ireland, in 1927, she made her religious profession to the order's novitiate in Kilcullen, Co Kildare, in 1948. She went to America, where she served for 33 years as a teacher and administrator in Connecticut and New York.
In 1972, she was elected Provincial Superior in the US. After a year's sabbatical in Denver, Colorado, she was a retreat house director in Connecticut until 1983, when she was elected Superior General.
Based in Northampton, she nonetheless exercised wise leadership of sisters across four continents. Next year would have seen the completion of her final term of office.
Fr Francis Parkinson
Joseph Parkinson first took up his vocation with the De La Salle Bmthers, making his final vows in 1949 at the age of 25. He undertook vocations work for the order at St Joseph's, Beulah Hill, until the 1960s when he felt called to the priesthood.
After training at the Beda College, he was ordained for the Southwark diocese.
He served at St Chad's, South Norwood, and worked for the diocesan catcchetical centre. In 1978 he moved to Bexley, then became parish priest in 1981 at St John's, Mongeham, until retiring in 1993.
He died on 18 March.