BISHOP Philip Harvey, Bishop of the Northern Area of the Diocese of Westminster concelebrated Mass at St. Dominic's Sixth Form College on Sunday, November 23 and invested Gordon Scotney with the Knighthood of St Gregory during Mass in the presence of the Mayor and Mayoress of Harrow and many representatives of the Council and Schools in Harrow.
Gordon Scotney was born in Stamford in Lincolnshire and was educated at Stamford School. His early teaching career was interrupted by War Service. He spent six years in the Royal Artillery, was commissioned and served on the Staff of Commander Royal Artillery in North West Europe.
On return to civilian life, he continued his teaching career at Pinner Park School in Harrow and was also an officer in the local branch of the National Union of Teachers. He was appointed Head Master of West Lodge Middle School in Pinner in 1954 and served as its Head for 24 years before his retirement in 1978.
During this time, he has been a Govenor of a number of schools and was appointed to the Governing Body of St. Dominic's Sixth Form College shortly before the College opened in 1979. In the spring of 1986 he succeeded Ben Turner as Chairman of the Governing Body following the sad and sudden death of the Founding Chairman.
Gordon Scotney has been active as a member of his own parish, Our Lady and St Thomas and has also served on Roman Catholic Education Committees for the North West London Area. He also assisted on National Committees and has been a member of a number of organisations with International interests.