Fr Vizumey Hughes SDS JOHN JAMES HUGHES WaS born in Skelmorlie, Ayshire, in 1915. After attending a local primary school, he was educated at Mount Sr Mary's, Sheffield, before joining the Salvatorian order at Wylde Green, Birmingham.
He studied in Klausheide, Germany, and was ordained at Christleton Hall, Chester in 1938, taking the name Vianncy. He taught at the Salvatorian College, Harrow, then was in charge of war refugees at Ballbriggan, Co Dublin.
After the War, he served at Wealdstone, Abbots Langley, then Thornbury, before undertaking missionary work in Tanzania between 195966, until an accident forced him home. He then served at Ystradgynlais and back to Wealdstone, but deteriorating health after the accident led to the amputation of a leg. His last years were spent in convalescence, before retiring to Princes Risborough. He died at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
Fr Wilfred Johnson
WILFRED JOHNSON WAS born in September 1914 in New York, USA, and educated at Beaumont School before studying for the priesthood at the Pontifical Scots College, in Rome.
Ordained in 1938, he served for the Northampton diocese as assistant priest at St Joseph's, Bedford, then Sr Francis, Shefford, Beds. In 1954, he became parish priest at St Francis de Sales, Wolverton, Bucks. From 1967, he was parish priest at Our Lady, Wellingborough, Northants, until his retirement in 1990. During this time, he oversaw the building of the town's second Catholic church.
Director of the annual diocesan pilgrimage to Lourdes for many years, he retired to Luton, where he was hospital chaplain until his death.
A PARISH HOUSEKEEPER for almost 50 years, Miss Mary Stokes has died at Nazareth House, Blackburn, at the age of 85. She worked at St Mary's, Knaresborough, for 11 years, St Michael's, Abergavenny, for 5 years, and Brindle St Joseph's, Preston, for more than 30 years. She received the Bene Merenti medal for her service.