SOUTHWARK C.P.E.A, DEMANDS SPEEDY ACTION ON SCHOOLS
MISS WILKINSON REPLIED
The building, which was bought in 1938, was formerly a hissh-e ass girls' Grammar School run by thz
Public Day School Trust. It is well-equipped with class-rooms, central hall, laboratories, gymnasium, dining-rooms, etc., with tennis courts and about two acres of grounds. Arrangements had been made with the L.C.C. to open the school as a Special Agreement School under the 1936 Act, but in 1939 it was requisitioned by the military and was not made available again until last year. The L.C.C. have agreed in principle that the old agreement be revived and revised where necessary, but state that although the preliminary plans for the minimum alterations and long term plans to bring the building into line with the new regulations have been prepared and agreed with the Ministry. the estimating of costs and preparat:on of the drawings necessary will take six months.
Following this, a new agreement will have to be negotiated with the Governors and the L.C.C.. and it is anticipated that it will then be at least eight months before building operations can begin.
The Governors have suggested that owing to the acute lack of accommodation the drawings and plans and the preparation of the new agreement should be proceeded with simultaneously and the matter speeded up by employing a private architect to relieve pressure on the overworked L.C.C. Architect's Dept., but, although the M.P. for Clapham, Mr. BattIey, has intervened w'th the Minister of Education. Miss Wi'kinson has replied that she could not ask the L.C.C. to give the school special treatment.