FAMOUS HOUSE BECOMES HOME
A CENTURIES-OLD mansion which has been, down the centuries, one of the greatest outposts of the Faith in itaffordshire, was officially opened as a Home for sick and etired priests by Archbishop Grimshaw of Birmingham on
The new Home is Aston Hall, ,uated two miles south of one and six miles north of afford. One of the earliest vners was Cardinal Weld.
In 1769, the Hall was let to a r. Ralph Sneyd, who occupied it
r 20 years. The chroniclers state at when Sneyd left the Hall, it ii into decay, "but it was casionally inhabited by a amish priest who officiated in the all's chapel for the villagers who :re of his persuasion".
Anti-Catholic influence tried to move the priest. But he refused leave, so they pulled down the 'ng in which he lived.
About 1818 Cardinal Weld gave sat remained of the Hall to the -anciscans. They stayed until 23. Five years later the Bridgette Nuns moved in. They stayed ail 1836.
In 1840, Cardinal Wiseman in:ed an Italian Passionist, Fr. sminic Barberi, to take charge the mission at Aston Hall, thus oviding the first House of the iglish Province of the Pasmists. Ven. Dominic, as he now saw the fruits of his zeal in the nversion of Cardinal Wiseman tom he received into the Church d who visited him in Aston all.
It was at Aston Hall that a large est was found containing the lost lies of St. Chad which are now shrined in St. Chad's Cathedral, rmingham.
Only a small portion of the !gine! Hall now remains. But in newly renovated state as a rise, it comprises eight bedems for priests, a chapel, dining om and sitting room, as well as convent for the Sisters of Jerky of St. Paul who have cen charge of it. It stands in 5 res of grounds.