Work will begin in the near future on a new church near Creswell Road, Clowne. The site was given by Colonel Butler-Bowden„ late of Southgate House, Clowne, who also has given the fittings of his private chapel at Southgate.
Fr. Ryan, Set., of Mount St. Mary's, Spinkhill, recently put the financial position of the parish before the congregation, and asked for their support to help in the purchase of a motor-cycle to carry him to Southgate and Creswell,
"The parish of Hornchurch is growing in what we Catholics think is the right way." With these words Alderman A. J. Sullivan, of Southend, opened St. Mary's Church bazaar. held recently in aid of the church and the School fund.
on Jules van Meenen presided, supported
c a n
by Alderman and Mrs Suitt Mr Sullivan also spoke of the growth of Catholicism at Hornchurch.
An acre of land at Bioxham, Oxfordshire, has been bought and presented to the Diocesan authorities for the erection of a chapel In the village. The donor is a Banbury lady, a member of the congregation of St. John's Church.
The Catholics of Bioxham have been
goirvgean.nising series of events to raise funds to purchase a site for the new chapel, and the sum in hand can be used towards the cost of the actual building now that the site has been
It is hoped that building will be commenced in the near future.
Extensive repairs and renovations have just been completed at St. Mary's Church, Clayton-le-Moors, which is one of the oldest and most historic churches in the Salford Diocese.
The present church dates back to 1819 but the faith in Clayton dates back to the penal days, when the only Mass for !Tutees around was said secretly at Dunkenhalgh, the. home of the Petre family.
Some nine years before the pawing of the Catholic Emancipation Act the Trapper-Lomax family, of Clayton Hall, gave a plot of land, together with a substantial donation, which made the present church possible. The cburch was opened on July 11, 1810.
Baroness Va.ux, of Harrowden, attended the Christmas bazaar held recently in the school room in aid of the funds of the Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Wellingborough.
A sum of over f75 was added to Barnet's School Extension Fund as the result of brisk business in a two-day bazaar held in the Assembly Hall, Barnet, Miss mecentallyg. m aret Bannerman was to have opened the bazaar but she has not recovered from her recent accident, and had to cancel a Barnet engagement for the second time since her mishap.
As a result of the bazaar held in aid of the funds of the Church of the Sacred Heart, Leicester, £240 was raised, including over £18 from the sale of Catholic newspapers and pamphlets.
The Rev. Alfred Baldwin has recently taken over the parish from Canon Lindeboom.
The final result of the Christmas bazaar held at the Corn Exchange recently to raise funds to meet the debt on the schools at Chelmsford is f213 including subscriptions.
The Rev. J. Dowd, parish priest at the Church of the English Martyrs, Alveston, presided at the opening of the Christmas fair held in the Jubilee Hall.
The object was to raise funds for the extension of the church's work in the district.