THE Hierarchy's announcement that it is preparing a petition to the Holy See for the approval of an English supplement to the Rituale Romanum was welcomed by the Vernacular Society of Great Britain at its annual general meeting at Westminster last week.
The decline in the celebration of liturgical services in modern times is now being countered by a great growth of popular interest in the liturgical movement, said the chairman, Fr. Ronald Pilkington.
Unlike so many unhappy liturgical ventures in the past, today's adaptation of the liturgy to the needs of the people is taking place with the full approval mid under the active guidance of the competent ecclesiastical authorities. The society must continue to keep the public well informed of liturgical developments.
The meeting also endorsed Cardinal Lercaro's plea at the Third International Liturgical Congress at Lugano that the Scriptural portions of the Mass should be read "directly and immediately by the priest" in the language of the congregation. Thus the "nourishment of the Divine Word" would be made "more easily available to men's minds."
The Vernacular Society has chosen St. Jerome as its patron.
Two pilgrimages to West Grinstead
The Southwark diocesan pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation at West Grinstead will take place on Tuesday, July 13. High Mass will be celebrated at 1130 a.m. There will be a procession at 2.45 p.m. and Bishop Cowderoy will preach.
The annual pilgrimage of the Children of Mary will take place on Sunday, July 11, with procession, sermon and Benediction, starting at 3.30 p.m.
Apostolic Delegate for Walsingham
Archbishop O'Hara, recently appointed Apostolic Delegate to Great Britain, has accepted an invitation to preside at the crowning ceremony to be held at Walsingham on Sunday, August 15.
Mgr. Canon Lindeboom
Mgr. • Canon Henry Lindeboom, a priest of the Nottingham diocese for more than half a century, collapsed and died in the pulpit whilst preaching in the church he built, the. Sacred Heart, Leicester, on Sunday night.
Mgt. Lindeboom was horn in Holland in 1878. He was ordained at St. Barnabas Cathedral, Nottingham, in 1901.
His first curacy was at St. Augustine's, Nottingham. then just a corrugated-iron structure, and then he went to Hassop with Bakewell, in Derbyshire.
In 1902 he was made rector of Spilsby, Lines, and in 1904 was for a few months at Scunthorpe. He was then appointed as parish priest of the Sacred Heart parish, Leicester. where he remained for 34 years. Hc built a new church, church hall and parochial schools.
He was made a Canon of the Nottingham Chapter in 1930. In October, 1938, he was appointed parish priest of All Saints', Glossop, but the climate proving too rigorous for him, Canon Lindehoom was transferred in the following year to Ilkeston, in South Derbyshire, where he paid off the debt on the parish as well as greatly beautifying the Church of Our Lady and Sc. Thomas of Hereford. When he celebrated his golden jubilee as a priest in 1951 the Pope honoured him by appointing him as a Domestic Prelate. Mgr. Lindehoom retired from active work in January of last year.
Fr. John O'Reilly Fr. John O'Reilly, a priest of the diocese of Raphoe, who was on loan to the diocese of Southwark, died early on Sunday morning at the Bon Secours Nursing Home, Ramsgate, where Bishop Cowderoy happened to be staying the night.
He was 41 years of age. He had been seriously ill for several weeks.
Educated for the priesthood at Maynooth, he served the diocese of Southwark at Tooting and Englefleld Green as assistant priest.
Some of the visitors in the woods around the little chapel
ON Saturday afternoon in the grounds of St. Mary's College, Strawberry Hill, London, Cardinal Griffin dedicated "Walpole's Folly" as a new shrine to Our Lady. The new shrine is set in a dark little wood and separated from the college by magnificent lawns.
The Chapel in the Woods, as Horace Walpole called it, was used by him as a repository for his many art treasures. It fell into decay at his death and was restored and embellished by Frances, Countess Weidegrave-after whose family the road leading up to the college is named.
About 200 people, many of them students from the college, were present at the dedication ceremony.
In 1950 the past students of St. Mary's undertook to restore the little chapel and dedicate it to Our Lady to mark the centenary of the college. The project was completed this year. Part of the original Gothic front is still in existence but today a beautifully carved wood statue of Our Lady occupies the place of honour in the interior.
Murals depicting the life of Our Lady arc shown and the stained glass Assumption window was a gift from past students of Ireland.
Later in the afternoon the Cardinal was guest of honour at a tea given in the imposing mirrored dining-hall of the college. Also present was Archbishop Myers and Mr. Gilbert Harding who until recently lived near Strawberry Hill.