of the Holy Sepulchre
N Florence recently, Pagonelli
Arrigo, Christian Democratic Deputy. together with five other men and three women. were invested by Cardinal della Costa as Knights ot the Holy Sepulchre. The ceremony took place in the special chapel of the Church of Santa Maria Novella All those taking part arrived at the church in picturescme procession, headed by heralds clad in medieval garb of contrasting colours, the Knights of the Order wearing their habit—a white circuiar cloak—while those about to become Knights carried theirs over the left arm. By the outside entrance to the cloisters and at the church doors stood halberdiers. like sentinels. grasping their long, wooden. axe-hooked instruments.
The ceremonial of this ancient Order of Chivalry combines a rite like that of coronation, knighthood and confirmation.
The Order of the Holy Sepulchre had its origin in the time of the Crusades It was restored by Pope Alexander VI in 1496 and was-confirmed by Pope Benedict XIV in 1746 New statutes were promulgated in 1866 by Pope Pius IX. The Festival of the Order is on St. John's Day.
Though the uniform of the Knights is a long white cloak and that of the Dames is black velvet of the same shape. on the left side of both is emblazoned in rich embroidery the Emblem of the Order, a scarlet cross with similar crosses in the angles.