A joint letter of the Mexican Hierarchy to Mexico's clergy has outlined the following programme on behalf of farmers : (I) Preparation of the clergy for direct social action in behalf of country people.
(2) Establishment of social enterprises for economic and moral aid to farmers.
(3) Mediatory action among the wealthy so that they may share their wealth for social enterprises.
(4) Education of the farmer toward love of his land and agricultural production.
(5) Encouragement of the people's confidence in the civil authorities.
(6) Widespread diffusion of Catholic social doctrine among the wealthy and the poor.
The Bishops acknowledge the fact that the clergy " is overburdened in the spiritual care of the faithful." However, they exhort priests, as a part of their mission, " to aid as much as possible the social and economic betterment of our country people."