Was the belief of Mother Mary of Jesus
ABBOT SMITH'S TRIBUTE.
Tributes paid this week to the memory of Mother Mary of Jesus, Prioress of the Carmelite Convent at Notting Hill, London, whose death we reported in last week's issue, included one from Rt. Rev. Abbot A. Smith, C.R.L., Visitor of all Carmelite Convents and Ecclesiastical Superior to those within the Archdiocese of Westminster since the death of Cardinal Bourne. In his position Abbot Smith was well acquainted with Mother Mary, particularly in the latter years of her life, and knew the value of the work she accomplished for the progress in this country of her Order.
He told a CA l'HOLIC HERALD reporter: " She was a most spiritual person, and entirely wrapped up in the development of her work, which had for its object the conversion of this country, for which she prayed unceasingly. It was her belief that prayer would be the main means of achieving this. Cardinal Bourne, too, in whose diocese Mother Mary opened her last Carmel-at Watford in 1938-was heart and soul in the work, for he relied, as she did, on the power of the contemplative life for the conversion and betterment of the world."
COMPLETE LIST Here is the complete list, with dates of foundation, of the Camels set up in Great Britain by Mother Mary of Jesus:
Archdiocese of Westminster: Notting Hill, 1878; Highbury, Sorrowful Heart of Mary, 1918; Hatfield, Deo Gratias, 1925.
Archdiocese of Liverpool; West Derby, St. Joseph, 1907; St. Helens, Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, 1927; Upholland, St. Joseph, 1927. The date given for this last Catniel is that of the official opening, [hough nuns bad been in residence before that time.
Archdiocese of Birmingham: Wolverhampton, Magnificat, 1921; Oxford, Immaculate Conception, 1923; Vat dley, Epiphany, Birmingham, 1923.
Diocese of Brentwood: Saffron Walden, Our Lady of Trust, 1928.
Diocese of Lancaster: Preston, Mater 1917.
Diocese of Leeds. Sheffield, 1911.
Diocese of Menevia, Dolgelly, The Holy Ghost, 1929; Cardigan Our Lady of Peace, 1930; Llandorry, The Transfiguration, 1934.
Diocese of Northampton, Woodbridge (now at Rushmere, near Ipswich), Magnifleet, 1921; Cambridge, Our Lady of Mercy 1923.
Diocese of Nottingham, Mansfield, The Epiphany, 1926.
Diocese of Plymouth, Our Lady of Good Counsel, 1919; Tavistock, Magnificat, 1922; Gillingham, Our Lady of Hope, 1925; Exmouth, The Ave Maria, 1926; Bournemouth, The Visitation, i27.
Diocese of Portsmouth, Reading, Our Lady's Presentation, 1926. Diocese of Salford, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Kersal, 1919.
Diocese of Shrewsbury: Birkenhead, The Annunciation, 1918.
Scotland: Edinburgh, The Resurrection, 1925; Kirkcaldy, St. Teresa of the Holy Child, 1931; Falkirk, The Immaculate Conception, 1931; Dunfermline, St. Margaret, 1932; Glasgow, Nativity of Our Lady, 1918; Dumbarton, The Holy Ghost, 1934; Oban,'The Incarnation, 1924.
The last foundation of Mother Mary was at Watford, Diocese of Westminster, in 1938, where the Cannel is dedicated to The Assumption.