Saturday October 24, will see, all being well, the laying of the foundation-stone for the new school-chapel in Seaton Street, St. Pancras, successor to the old and long inadequate building in Little Albany Street, N.W. The stone-laying ceremony will be performed by the Archbishop of Westminster. The site for the building is now being cleared.
It should be noted that the school will be a private one, with all its expenses falling upon the priest and his people. The school-chapel will cost, for building, about £5,000; and upwards of 0,000, borrowed money, has been paid for the site. Mr. T. H. B. Scott is the architect.
Eighty Years Ago The parish of St. Anne is one of Lon-, don's oldest parishes, with a chapel opened for Mass in August, 1857. Canon Dunford, rector of St. Patrick's, Soho, who is administering the parish, hopes to have the new chapel opened in August next year, to celebrate the eightieth anniversary.
The present chapel, built in 1853, at a cost of £4,500, as a school for Catholic girls, stood empty for some years, because the Government would not' permit it to be used as a school, as it is on Crown property.
Pending the migration to Seaton Street, the congregation in those parts are being given many devotional opportunities in the Little Albany Street church.
Next Sunday there will open the Triduum of reparation for the outrages against God in Spain, with a sermon, on each of the three evenings, on Catholic social teaching; and in the last week of November, Fr. George H. Barrett, S.J., is to begin an eight-days' mission.
Catholic visitors to London may like to seek out this old chapel, in the last year of its long life as a place of worship. To find the Little Albany Street it is well to ask, first of all, for the Great one. This latter thoroughfare is on an omnibus route; whereas Little Albany Street, narrow and obscure, might easily elude the stranger who was almost at its threshold.