SALESIAN COLLEGE, CHERTSEY
OUTSTANDING SUCCESSES MAINTAINED
Mgr. F. H. Northcote presided at. the Speech Day at. the Salesian College, Chertsey, on December 19. Many of the local clergy were present and the School Hall was crowded with boys, their parents and friends.
Following an entertainment given by the pupils, the Prefect of Studies, Fr. S. P. Bolton, S.C., stated that the College had well maintained during the last year its already high reputation in the Public Examinations.
" Of the 12 candidates who entered for the School Certificate Examination 11 were successful, obtaining In all 39 Credits, two of these candidates obtaining Matriculation Exemption.
" Of the 14 candidates who entered for the Oxford Junior Certificate 10 were successful. ln the middle and lower school 66 boys sat for the Central Board Examinations, 66 passed, obtaining 31 Honours and 215 Distinctions and Credits. The Diocesan Examiner in Religious Knowledge gave his verdict in one word, viz.— ' Excellent.' '' Referring to the recent crisis the report stated:
" The order was given to our students—' work and class as usual.' We were routed by our College In London that we should be prepared to accommodate a large number of their students and we were ready to make every eflort in this matter. We did not neglect the ordinary precautions, viz., the pupils were fitted with gasmasks and received air-raid Instructions."
After the Prize Distribution, Mgr. Northcote warmly congratulated both masters and pupils on having achieved such brilliant results.
The principal of the College, the Very Rev. T. E. Payne, S.C., remarked on the fact that the School had its maximum number of pupils and there was already a waiting list of new pupils for the session, 1939-1940.
WORK TO BEGIN IN MARCH
Work will begin on the construction of a Catholic junior school on a site opposite SS. Sebastian and Pancras Catholic Church, in Hay Lane, Kingsbury, Middlesex, in March of next year.
The Church do not take possession of the one-acre site until February, and before building work can begin, two wooden, thatched-roofed houses will have to be pulled down.
The school, which is to accommodate about 200 children under the age of eleven, and to open at the beginning of 1940, will cost about f8,000, towards which the church has already raised 1500-1600.