WHEN Bishop Howard Tripp consecrates the reordered church of St John Fisher, Merton, South West London today at 8 pro he will be among the first to see new Stations of the Cross in stained glass by Patrick Reyntiens.
He will also see new mosaic panels by Marianne John, and a Holy Family group carved in wood and bronze tabernacle panels by David John.
The Bishop will be presented with a copy of a new booklet telling the story of the parish and its development since the opening of the first Mass centre in 1938. The booklet was written, illustrated and designed by parishioners.
During the past year the church has been reordered, with an enlarged sanctuary projecting into the nave, and work commissioned from contemporary artists.
The consecration takes place on the feast of the church's patron, St John Fisher, the Bishop of Rochester martyred under Henry VIII. A relic of St Thomas More friend and fellow-martyr of Fisher will be carried in procession before being sealed into the new altar.
• ON THE Feast of the Sacred Heart, the Parish of the Sacred Heart at Hilton, Rugby, celebrated both its jubilee as a parish and the ordination to the priesthood of Fr Kevin Kavanagh by the lit Rev P L McCartie, Bishop of Eltnham and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Birmingham. Fr Kavanagh was educated at the English Martyrs school in Rugby and at Oscott College.