ALAS, no more is the church of Saints Michael and Joseph, Mutton Cove, Devonport, Plymouth, right. It has been razed to the ground to make way for 48 luxury flats as it was too large for its present congregation and too costly to repair.
Redevelopment in the area came about because the parish of this 1861 church was bombed out during the war and ceased to have its 2,000 military, naval and dockyard worker congregation.
Bishop Cyril Restieux. Bishop of Plymouth when concelebrating the last Mass noted in his homily that the parish had produced Bishop Cotter, 17 priests and 20 sisters.
The parish priest Fr Nannery will use the local primary school for Masses and services and will live in rented accommodation until the new church is opened in the centre of the parish.