Work continues on the building preliminaries for the new Prinknash Abbey, Gloucestershire, the foundation stone of which was laid by Cardinal Hinsley in May, 1939.
On the site of the new monastery there has been steady progress and, within the last few days, the two new roads have been connected up so that
this can be approached by a passable road both from the main Cheltenham road and from the lower drive. Great cuttings are being made for the main supports of the Undercroft and Lady Chapel. These will consist of huge masses of concrete, made largely with the stone from the Prinknash quarries. A mess-room for the workmen and a store for cement, etc., is also in course of construction. The funds already contributed for the building have been carefully allocated both for expenses already incurred and also for the work it is hoped to complete during the next few months.
HAPPY TO WORK WMI MONKS
Nine men are at work on the foundations or assisting in the quarry, in addition to the monastic labour. None of these men is at present liable for military service, and its they are all good workmen, and happy in the privilege of working with the monks, it is hoped to keep them on the permanent staff. Should it be necessary to dispense with them, the amount still remaining in the building fund will enable the monks to carry on the work under a competent foreman.