The Rev. J. Donohoe
The funeral of the Rev. J. Donohoe, of St. Lewis's Church, Croft, near Warrington, who died at the Providence Hospital, St. Helens, after a short illness, aged 76 years, took place at St. Lewis's Church.
Fr. Donohoe was a native of Liverpool and was educated at St. Edward's College, Liverpool, and later at St. Joseph's, Upholland, Wigan, where he was ordained priest in 1890. He served successively in Wigan, Birkdale, Chorley, Liverpool, Catford and at Haydock, where he was responsible for the building of the present Church of the English Martyrs. He came to Croft some 32 years ago, and celebrated his golden jubilee as a priest on Mey 31 last.
Requiem Mass was said by the Very Rev. Dean Gregory Doyle, of the Sacred Heart Church, Warrington, and Absolutions were given at the graveside by Dr. Downey, Archbishop of Liverpool.
There was a large number of other clergy present, including Mgr. Dean, Rector of St. Joseph's Seminary, Upholland, Dean Black, and many others.
Rev. R. Howarth, S.J.
The Rev, Robert Bowel tb, S.J., a " Junior " student of the Society of Jesus at Manresa House, Roehampton, has been killed. He was under 20 years of age and a member of the Manresa fire squad. He had already distinguished himself in fire-fighting in raids on his district. His funeral took place on Tuesday, October 15.
Fr. A. H. Pollen, Cong. Orat.
Mr. F. II. Pollen, brother of Fr. Pollen, the deceased Oratorian priest whose obituary notice appeared on this page last week, writes as follows:—" He had a ready wit. When reporting himself to the captain of a ship to which he had just been appointed, the captain said :—' I hope we shall get on together, but I think it candid to tell you that 1 don't like Catholics.' My brother replied : • I'm sure we shall get on, sir, as to be candid I detest Protestants.' They did become friends and used to play golf together during the short intervals at Scapa when they could get on shore. " His D.S.C. was earned when he went into one of the Warspite's ' batteries in which the charges of cordite were blazing and carried out onc of the men who was unconscious and whose clothes were on fire. On getting him out safe, my brother went in a second time and brought out another unconscious seaman. He was severely burnt on the face and hands, but sustained no permanent injury."