DOM LEONARD SARGENT, O.S.B.
The death is announced, at 87 years, at Portsmouth, Rhode Island, of Dom H. Leonard Sargent, 0.S.B., who had been attached to the Portsmouth Priory School for many years. A native of Boston be graduated at Harvard in 1879 and after teaching in private preparatory schools he attended the General Theological Seminary, New York, and was later ordained an Episcopal clergyman. He became one of the founders of the Episcopal Order of the Holy Cross, the religious community whose headquarters was at Poughkeepsie, N.Y. He attended Oxford University in 1887, and became associated with the Cowley Fathers and helped with church work in the London Docks. Later he did church work in New York and missionary work in Tennesse. Returning 1.0 England, he was received into the Church at Downside and was confirmed by the late Cardinal, then Archbishop, Bourne. He studied at St. John's Seminary. Brighton, Mass., for the Catholic priesthood and was ordained by the late Cardinal O'Connell.
Rev. J. V. O'Shaughnessy, who died in hospital at Rochdale on October 31, was parish priest at Ovenden and Queenshury, near Bradford. from 1937 until January this year, when he retired through illness, He was ordained at Kilkenny in 1927 and was previously curate at St. Francis', Leeds, St. Joseph's, Huddersfield, and St. Mary's. Bradford.
FR. B. I. BENSON, CF.
" Fr Benson was an outstanding priest and chaplain. I sympathise with your Lordship and the diocese in the great loss you have sustained," writes Mgr. Coghlan, V.G., of Army chaplains, to the Bishop of Leeds, on the death on active service of the Rev. B. J. Benson, a young chaplain from the Leeds diocese, who was wounded at Arnhem on September 20 and died at St, Elizabeth's Hospital, Arnhem, on September 27. News of his death has been received from Fr. McGowan, C.F., who was captured at Arnhem and is now a prisoner in Germany. Born in Bradford in 1914, Fr. Benison WaS educated at St. Bede's Grammar School and Ushaw Seminary and was otdained at St. Anne's Cathedral in 1937. He was a curate at St. Patrick's, Sheffield. until joining the Army in 1941. He had seen service in North Africa and Italy before his transfer to the Airborne Division. The Bishop of Leede presided at Solemn Requiem Mass and gave the absolutions at St. Bede's school chapel on Thursday.
FR. C. CAVANAGH Whilst assisting to erect scenery for the presentation of the annual children's pantomime at St. Alban's R.C. Hall, Blackbuin, Fr. Charles Cavanagh (36) fell from some scaffolding and sustained a fracture of the skull, He died from his injuries in Blackburn Royal Infirmary on Sunday. Fr. Cavanagh served seven years at St. Alban's before going to St. Malachy Church, Collyhurst. He returned to 'St. Alban's last March.
REV. J. HITCHCOCK
The Rev. John Hitchcock, parish priest of Our Lady and St, Thomas-ofCanterbury, Harrow, died on Tuesday at St. John's and St. Elizabeth's Hospital. London, after an operation. Born in 1884, he was educated at St. Edmund's, Ware, and ordained in 1907. He worked as a curate at St. John's Wood and Chertscy, and for 22 years was rector at Harrow.
SISTER M. ALACOQUE Sister Mary Alacoque, aged 59, of the Convent of the Sisters of Mercy. Burnley, who was interred on November 9, was a native of Abbeyfeale, Limerick. In secular life she was Mary Anne O'Shaughnessy, and she entered the Burnley convent nearly 40 years ago, teaching for most of that time at St. Mary's R.C. Infants' School. She was greatly loved by her pupils.
MRS. FRASER-CROFT Mrs. Eleanor Fraser-Croft, mother of Mgr. Thomas Croft-Fraser, Chief Master of Ceremonies at St. Peter's, Rome, from 1935 to 1939, and widow of the Rev. Thomas D. Croft, sometime vicar of Kimpton, ilens, died at the Blue Nuns Hospital, Rome, on April 4 after a long illness. Mrs. Fraser-Croft, well-known in British circles in Rome since she and her son took up their residence there in 1921. was the daughter of the Rt. Rev. George Tomlinson, first Anglican Bishop of Gibraltar. On her mother's side she was descended from the Erasers, of Castle Fraser and Inverallochy, Aberdeenshire, of which her son became laird in 1896. Both were received into the Church in 1912.