Page 9, 15th December 1939

15th December 1939
Page 9
Page 9, 15th December 1939 — STRIKING CONVENT CHAPEL OPENED Brighton's New Landmark
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: London

Share


Related articles

Four Days To The Centenary

Page 11 from 7th February 1958

A Direct

Page 7 from 11th July 1958

Ipswich Pageant

Page 8 from 11th April 1974

Cell Was Draw At Welwyn

Page 3 from 29th January 1965

Chapel For Matlock

Page 7 from 21st November 1958

STRIKING CONVENT CHAPEL OPENED Brighton's New Landmark

Front if Special Correspondent The new chapel of the Sisters of Nevers, Lourdes Convent, Withdean, near Brighton, of which the CATHOLIC HERALD reeently publisiled all exterier VieW, was opened on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, when Dr. Stephen Collins, Rector of St. Mary's, Preston Park, Brighton, ir the unavoidable absence of Archbishop Amigo, sang the High Mass, assisted by the Revv. 11. Hunt and M. Carroll, deacon and sub-deacon.

The Rev F. Donovan, of St. Mary's, Blackheath, preached, and there was a large congregation, including many priests, and sisters, from other convents

The chapel, which is now a striking landmark on the London-Brighton road, was designed by Mr J. S. Gilbert in the French Gothic style.

ORIGINAL PLANS MODIFIED Owing to difficulties arising from the war, only the exterior and the sanctuary could be completed exactly as planned, the plans for the nave, transept and aisles leaving to be somewhat modified. Nevertheless, the general effect is very striking, as this accentuates the richness of the sanctuary apse.

The High Altar is surmounted by a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes.




blog comments powered by Disqus