11 is felt that the reality of the, problem, of the Leakage from the ('h reit of young Catholics has hitherto been obscured by vagueness about the facts.
Elsewhere on this page are some figures from one London parish which do give the facts for a particular district, and the facts are not comforting. How far the figures quoted are true or untrue for the whole country it is of the interest. of all to know.
We would welcome your help which you can give by answering any of the following questions—in arriving at the facts of :.. vitally important problem.
I. Would you restrict the use of the term Leakage to apply to those young men and women who have ceased to practise their religion by consistently missing Mass on Sunday, or by an open act denying their faith (e.g., marrying a Protestant: becoming a Communist)?
2. Who are most affected by the Leakage, boys or girls ?
3. Have you, in your personal experience, known of any young Catholics between the ages of 15 and 25 who have given up practice of their religion 7 If so, how many ?
4. Have any of them confided in you their reasons for giving up the practice of their religion 7 5. What in your own opinion are
the reasons ? Do you attribute the Leakage in any case to lack of Catholic education?
6. In cases where the children have been educated in a Catholic school, do you attribute the Leakage to defects in their religious education in school If so, what are the defects 7. What do you consider are other causes of Leakage ?
(a) Bad conditions of home life 1 (b) Material destitution ?
(c) Lack of Catholic friends?
(d) Courting ?
(e) La ck of Catholic Parochial Activity ?
(f) Lack of contact with parish priest 7 (9) Bad companionsi (h) Attractions of political ideology ?
(i) Conditions of work?
8. What steps in your district have been and are being taken to stem the Leakage 7 9. What in your own opinion would be the most effective means of stemming the Leakage ?
Please state name and address (not necessarily for publication), age and occupation.