THE AUGUSTINIANS, Or Austin Friars, arc returning to their former church site in the heart of the City of London to celebrate 750 years since their first arrival in 1253.
The present church, off Old Broad Street, was rebuilt after the medieval church of the Augustinians was destroyed in 1940. It has been home to the Dutch Protestant community in London since it was granted those fleeing persecution by Catholics in 1550.
A Service of Thanksgiving will take place at 2.30pm at the Dutch Church, Austin Friars, this Sunday.
Present will be parishioners from the two Augustinian parishes in London — St Monica's, Hoxton, and St Augustine's, Hammersmith, as well as Pastor Gerard van Es. who invited the friars to return to their former site.
The service will include the Gospel in Dutch as well as English, and the homily will be given by the Rev Dr William Faix OSA.